July 1, 2014 - rob
How to Setup and Configure ESXi 5 for OpenManage Essentials
1. Download the OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.1.0-5304.VIB-ESX50i_A00.zip from the following location:
2. Locate the OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.1.0-5304.VIB-ESX50i_A00.zip file that was downloaded.
3. Using WinSCP or similar, copy the VIB zip file over to the ESXi 5 host; for example, to the /tmp directory.
4. Install the VIB file by running one of the following commands:
a. Using Putty, SSH into the ESXi 5 host and type the following command:
esxcli software vib install –d /tmp/ OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.1.0-5304.VIB-ESX50i_A00.zip
b. Using the VMware CLI tools from OpenManage Essentials server type:
esxcli –server software vib install –d /tmp/ OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.1.0-5304.VIB-ESX50i_A00.zip
5. Verify VIB installs as shown below:
6. For the changes to be effective, reboot the ESXi 5 host.
7. After reboot is complete, remove the ESXi 5 host from Maintenance Mode.
Installing OMSA Using VMware Update Manager
From within Update Manager, add http://vmwaredepot.dell.com/index.xml as a download source. This will check for new versions of OMSA, and update them when required, just like the regular ESXi updates.
You can also download a single OpenManage .vib file and import that to VUM.